That Autumnal thing is happening here. This past weekend a cold front blew in and bathing suits were swapped out for fleece pullovers and longer pants as we headed to the lake. I had already settled on Caldo de Pollo (a mexican chicken soup/stew – recipe forthcoming) for dinner - could I pull off a double soup day? When the 40 degree chill greeted me on the way to the market, the answer was clear.
I make this soup (or variants thereof) often and I wanted to try out my new stick blender (Breville Immersion Blender ) to boot.
The complexity factor of this soup is very low. It’s super easy to make and the (relatively mild) heat from the thai curry paste and the creaminess of pureed sweet potato and coconut milk put this in constant rotation in my kitchen.
Knowing ahead of time that this soup will be pureed, your prep work on the carrots and sweet potatoes can be functional rather than beautiful, peel and chop - coarsely if you don’t mind a few minutes variation in cooking time.
I served this with an assortment of panini and was struck by the visual reminiscence to grilled cheese and tomato soup - how far we’ve come that kids and adults alike oohed and ahhed over the meal!
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4-5 sweet potatoes peeled and roughly cubed
- 3-4 large carrots peeled and roughly cubed
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste [<a href=”/supplies/thai-red-curry-paste” data-mce-href=”supplies//supplies/thai-red-curry-paste”>See supply list</a>]
- 4 cups chicken stock (or substitute good veg stock)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 can (15 oz) unsweetened coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add oil to stock pot over medium high heat
- Add onions and curry paste and lightly fry until onions soften
- Add carrots and sweet potatoes to stock pot and stir for 2-3 minutes
- Add stock and cumin to pot and bring to a low boil
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook until sweet potatoes are tender
- Stir in coconut milk
- Remove from heat and puree with stick blender.
- If you are using a traditional blender, let the soup cool considerably lest you have a sweet potato bomb go off in your hands (hot liquid and blenders are tricky)
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
More delicious recipes
This one of the many fanastic recipes available on this blog