Kale Apple Slaw
The mixture of tart and sweet apples provides a nice crunch to this salad/slaw.
I served it up alongside Porchetta sandwiches at a recent party and got rave reviews.
You can make this salad well in advance of serving it. Kale holds up to the acid in the dressing very well - indeed it helps ‘cook’ the kale a bit.
If you make the slaw more than a few hours before serving, I would hold off on cutting and adding the apples until just before serving. You can see in the picture below that some of the apples have gone a bit limp.
Another tip that i’m reminded of only when preparing kale for salads is that buying a bag or carton of baby kale significantly reduces the prep time. I enjoy my time in the kitchen but stripping and cutting kale can be time consuming.
Adapted from Chow
- 3 tbs rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbs honey
- 2 tbs dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp poppy seeds
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbs grapeseed oil
- 1/4 cup red onion, fine dice
- 1 lb kale (2 bunches) or 1 pack baby kale (easier)
- 1 granny smith apples - matchsticks
- 1 Pink Lady apple - matchsticks
- Mix the ingredients for the dressing in a large bowl
- Wash and remove kale leaves from stems
- Chop Kale and add to dressing
- This should rest in the refrigerator for an hour or so at minimum. The kale can take a long marinade and gets better as it marinates.
- If you’re going to dress the kale and let it rest for more than a few hours before serving, reserve the apples and add to the salad mixture before serving
More delicious recipes
This one of the many fanastic recipes available on this blog