I favor the savory for breakfast and this sandwich brings together all the elements that I value to start the day (although as I age more infrequently).
High quality bacon, grilled sourdough, a schmear of pimento cheese and the peppery bite of arugula with an oil, vinegar, shaved onion and tomato salad, topped with an overeasy egg - ultimate indeed.
I won’t repeat my encouragement to go not just for real bacon but good bacon. As a recent recipient of a Bacon of the Month gift from Zingermans I put the Nueskes Applewood Smoked Bacon to the task for this sandwich.
Finally, if you haven’t done the breakfast salad I would urge you to try this combo. The acidic bite of vinegar brightens the flavor of the entire dish and salad provides a contrast in taste and texture.
Hyperbole? You decide.
- 1/2 cup arugula
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs white wine vinegar
- 1/4 red onion shaved into crescents
- 6-8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 strips bacon
- 6 tbs pimento cheese
- 2 slices sourdough or other good bread
- 1 tbs butter
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 375
- Place bacon in oven on parchment or foil lined lipped cookie sheet
- Bake for 20 min or until crispy
- Mix the salad topping in a bowl, dress and salt to taste
- As the bacon approaches done, butter one side of bread and place buttered side down in frying pan
- Smear half of the pimento cheese on each slice of bread
- Warm until bread is crispy and pimento cheese begins to soften
- Remove to plate
- Cook eggs until desired doneness - over easy is best for this
- Place salad on top of pimento cheese
- Top with Egg and serve
More delicious recipes
This one of the many fanastic recipes available on this blog